Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Doing the can-can

In case any of you have been wondering what I have been up to instead of posting on my blog, I figured its time I let you in on a little secret...I am a canner. Strange hobby, I know. I like to blame it on my mother, the queen canner herself. I grew up eating everything from home-canned peaches to strawberry-peach jam. Now I am sure there are some of you that are saying "My mom canned. It's not THAT uncommon." Well, did any of you eat home-canned ketchup? Or how about home-canned sauerkraut? I think it is safe to say that my mother took canning to a whole new level.

Well, apparently the ready-to-be preserved apple doesn't fall very far from the tree. So far this year I have bottled--listed below in order of production:

  • Zucchini relish

  • Strawberry jam

  • Salsa

  • Apple butter

  • Apple pie filling

  • The kids love, Love, LOVE the jam (I've had to ration their allotment--they were going through a jar every few days!) And I now know that I will never be making pie filling again (the jars overflowed and I had to reprocess the whole thing again) But I am having fun. And that is all that counts, right? Anyway, if you have a good canning recipe you would like to share, just let me know.

    No comments: