Monday, August 4, 2008

Kobe, Tehani and the Tornado...

Kobe and Tehani always look forward to their trips to Chicago and who wouldn't--getting spoiled by Grandma and Grandpa, swimming lessons, spending time playing in my parent's crawlspace...the list goes on and on. Well now the kids can add "Being in a tornado" to their list o' fun. That's right, Kobe and Tehani experienced their very first (and hopefully last) tornado tonight.

A funnel cloud touched down in Elmhurst--about 4 miles from my parents house. By the time the tornado (or torpedo, as Tehani explains it) passed by everyone was already safe in the crawlspace. "It's the safest place in the house, Mom" the kids explained later on the phone. Little do they know that I've been through many a tornado drill growing up but luckily I've never had the pleasure of putting that practice to use. Cynthia told me later that Kobe did get a little scared when the power went off for the second time. However he managed to tell her through some tears that this would be a very cool thing to tell his science teacher about...if he didn't die first!

I'm glad that everyone made it through the "torpedo" safe and sound... and that my kids will now have a "cool" story to tell when they go back to school. This should definatley qualify for an A+ in science class!

No comments: